Tuesday 30 July 2013

Slaughter around the Med


I've known about trapping and shooting on Malta and Cyprus for decades - it's why I've never set foot on either island and never will - but to be honest, until I followed the link on Liz's posting I didn't realise the appalling slaughter was quite so widespread.
Sadly, I have no faith that any organisation I know of is having any noticeable effect.  The senseless, wicked destruction continues year after year.
The recent "State of Nature" report charts a huge decline in the number of birds arriving here in Britain each spring, a situation many of us have been aware of for years.  But you don't need to look all that far away to see one of the reasons why. It is absolutely unforgivable that before they get the chance to breed and replenish, millions of migrating birds are being blasted out of the sky and trapped en route to their breeding grounds.
Instead of spending vast amounts on their latest advertising campaign, isn't it about time the RSPB funded a campaign to persuade tourists to avoid visiting and propping up the economy in places where this outrage is taking place.  Show people what's happening to our wild birds in these places and let's see if they still want to holiday there.
I believe those stout-hearted ladies who formed themselves into the society that became the RSPB were radicals in their day.  Like the suffragettes they were completely determined and not prepared to be fobbed off or subdued.  I'm not sure those in charge of the present day organisation have inherited their bottle!

Sent from my iPad