Friday 26 February 2010

Beached Bird Survey

This week-end is the annual survey of dead or dying birds found along the shore-line of the U.K.
I did the Aberaeron to Aberarth section today and thankfully found only the fox eaten remains of a farmyard goose and a BHG tho' I'm mindful that the winds recently have mostly been off-shore. I did note 8 dogfish which were about 3' long, the sad result of fishing activities.
I don't know what Elfyn was on about; the new beaches between the very expensive groynes have quickly taken on the appearance of a typical British beach: plastic, tins and assorted man-made debris were there in abundance!
To be fair there were 4 dunlin and a couple of oystercatchers on the new beach and the new groynes have already got weed and been battered by the waves chucking that expensive new stone around. Anyone know which wood has been used? It's a very pretty pink! I thought I saw parrot claw marks on some bits.....