Tuesday 9 February 2010

Birds at Ynyslas and Borth

There were seven purple sandpipers on the rocks at Borth this afternoon. Divers in flight offshore and on the sea and lots of scoters plus a great crested grebe. Stopped off at Ynyslas I didn't see the otter but it had been seen (and photographed by Janet). The scaup was upriver of the railway bridge. At about 4.45pm a barn owl made an appearance. I was on the road bridge when I saw it. Its quite a pale bird. It was hunting in the area for some time and I had great views of it in fact it perched on a fence post by the roadside at one stage! This bird would be amenable to being photographed I imagine. Kev/Janet/Mike over to you again guys! The chap living in the cottage on the hill who is also the owner of the boat yard had seen a grey seal upriver recently not sure if he said last week.
There were lots of curlew (I counted 70) in the field beyond the boat yard. Lapwing in the field before the railway crossing and a mixture of starling, fieldfare and redwing in the Ty Gwyn fields at Ynyslas.