Saturday 20 February 2010

Siskins/Lesser Redpoll/GS Woodpecker & Wrens

Garden birds:
I put up a couple of nyjer seed feeders before xmas and expected the onslaught of goldfinches. Instead I got greenfinches, sometimes up to 12. After 4 weeks or so, goldfinches finally found the seeds. Unexpectedly, siskins and lesser redpolls got on to the act and really took over in January. 35+ siskins with 4 redpolls was the best count but they all disappeared 2 weeks ago with the milder weather. However, the recent cold snap has brought them back and I managed to get some photos. The male Redpolls are especially good looking!

Talking of wrens, I came across 3 this morning (Sat 20th) up on my lane (Lisburne Rd, Bont), the most I've seen for a long time. Also, 2 of them seemed to be pairing up.


Andre Marsh