Monday 17 May 2010

Swallows

David Price's observations on swallow migration is amazing isn't it? I was at Ynyslas point at 8.30am on Sunday morning Dave and there was a steady stream of them on that day too. I thought of doing a count but there was so much else going on I decided against it! We have all witnessed swallow migration in action in recent weeks and one can only imagine the numbers passing through, 'millions' perhaps. You can see them anywhere along the coastline in the Spring and any headland seems to be a a good place. I guess very few people realise that this phenomenal movement of one of our favorite birds is actually taking place to such a degree until you spend time watching and counting them as some of us have done. The arrival of the swallow in the Spring must have uplifted the hearts of our ancestors as it does the present day generation.
There is a book out called 'A single Swallow-Following an Epic journey from South Africa to South Wales' written by a Welshman Horatio Clare. It was published in 2009 by Chatto & Windus in hardback but is also available in a paperback version. I haven't read it but it has had some good reviews. I think the last time I saw a copy was in the book shop at the Aberystwyth arts centre. I've got a nice 'Hamlyn Species Guide' too written by Angela Turner in 1994. I think I bought my copy in Coch-y-Bonddu books in Machynlleth some time ago. If anyone would like a copy I can have a look in the shop for you if you wish.

Long live the Swallow don't we just love them!