Sunday 30 May 2010

Walk to Cwm Tydu

I enjoyed a coastal walk from New Quay to Cwm Tydu today. I was joining Llandudno dentist Chris Stevenson on the first leg of his marathon 110 mile sponsored coastal walk from New Quay to Marloes in Pembrokeshire over a 10 day period for the charity ORCA (Organisation Cetacea) which we both support. We started the day off properly by having a 'bacon buttie' at the 'Old Watch House' restaurant watching hundreds of manx shearwaters passing in a steady stream offshore (you wont see that from many cafes!). We started the walk in the afternoon and it wasn't long before we saw the specialities of this coast as a peregrine appeared below us following the line of the coast and then we saw a couple of choughs. We actually saw 2 pairs of chough I think during the walk. We had a brief stop at Birds Rock (Craig-yr-Adar) to peer over at the nesting guillemots, razorbills and kittiwakes below. Not a place to look if you suffer from vertigo! I've been with a surprising number of people who just cant bring themselves to look over the edge. We walked on and Chris spotted a female kestrel in flight. Onward we went and watched many plunge diving gannets just offshore but no dolphins today. We saw quite a few pairs of whitethroat on the way to Cwm Tydu and back but I only saw one male stonechat (probably a pair). This was at 'Castell Bach' just before reaching Cwm Tydu. On the way back along the coastal path I saw the brightly coloured 'speckled yellow' moth shown above (Pseudopanthera macularia). I cant recall seeing one before so I had to refer to my butterflies & moths field guide on returning home. Thank goodness I had my camera with me. There were lots of 'small blue' butterflies about as well. The May blossom, thrift or 'sea-pink' and the fields of buttercup added colour to the landscape but the bluebells were starting to die off. Its a lovely time of year to walk the coastal path.

(Good luck on the remainder of your walk Chris. He has raised £2,550 in sponsorship money already! Mostly from his clientele who he described as a 'captive audience'!)