Thursday 3 June 2010

Fear and trembling in Llanddewi

Arrived at Bryn Glas/Bryn Du forestry plantations high above the village at dusk,9.45. Heard a Cuckoo and Grasshopper Warbler. There all alone,the birds falling silent and the darkness and gloom gathering all around me, the distant bleating of sheep always seem to sound spookier and spookier the darker it gets. Listening hard for my target species, I hear something weird in front. Now something strange behind. Now it's to my left. Now they've got me surrounded! Finally, at 10.15,with my nerves about to crack, a Nightjar churred briefly close by. Five minutes later it churred very briefly again and gave single wing clap. And that was it. Though I stayed a while longer I didn't hear a second bird respond.
Whilst I was waiting I also heard a Tawny Owl hooting in the forestry at about 400m asl, about a km from the nearest mature deciduous trees.