Thursday 24 June 2010

Re Mike Hayward's Little Owl

I was interested to see Mike Hayward’s sighting of a Little Owl at Borth. My neighbour phoned me up on Tuesday evening to tell me about a small owl that was hanging around the Hs Martin colony on the side of my house (unfortunately I can’t actually see what’s going on there) apparently the Owl had been showing great interest along with a Gt Spotted Woodpecker (he’s been a frequent visitor for a couple of months). In any event; I decided last night to sit out a bit later than normal and sure enough much to my amazement as I have never seen one in Ceredigion before a Little Owl appeared twice once in my neighbours garden and once in my own on top of a telegraph pole; against the fading light of the sky what was quite distinctive apart from the Owls small size was the long legs as it stood surveying the garden. As I am at Blaenddol it could well be the same bird Mike spotted at Borth.

Tony Clark