Saturday 18 September 2010

A message from our County Bird Recorder

I enclose the monthly summary of birds seen in the county in August. (See Monthly Bird News)
I would also like to take this opportunity to discuss a number of points which have been raised by quite a large number of people regarding scarce birds and birding/photographing behaviour.On at least four occasions, whilst the wryneck was at Llanrhystud, photographers were seen in the private field the other side of the fence line dividing the beach from the field. During these occasions, when the wryneck was not visible, photographers were seen walking from fence post to fence post hoping to get closer photo's and on two occasions flushing the wryneck which unsurprisingly flew some distance away.All birdwatchers stayed on the footpath and waited for the bird to appear on one of the fence posts and most gained excellent views after half an hour or so. This flushing of the bird by the photographers has also happened in other places, notably in Gwent, where the Marmora's warbler was present in an area which held scarce breeding birds and has also happened many times when birders try to get views of a scarce migrant (though thankfully not yet in Ceredigion). The first rule of bird watching/photography is that the welfare of the bird must come first at all times and I would like everybody to remember this when engaged in bird watching activities.I also feel we are sometimes too polite and in future, if I see this sort of activity again I will express my opinion to anyone who I believe has crossed the line and will ask Bob Relph to name and shame the person involved on the Ceredigion Birds Blog site and I ask everyone else to do the same.
I for one, hope that this behaviour will not discourage finders of scarce birds in letting out news of the bird; if everyone behaves as they should then it can be enjoyed by all.
Thank you.
Russell

County Bird Recorder

Ynys-hir RSPB reserve
Gwarchodfa natur Ynys-hir