Friday 29 October 2010

High as a Kite!

On the subject of kites and writing from Montgomeryshire again I've had 26 kites 'playing' over my house and across the valley this afternoon this 'phenomenon' usually happens when we get gale force winds as we have experienced this afternoon. The kites have roosted in the trees opposite my home this evening this is a regular occurrence during the winter months but doesn't usually happen until around December time and the roost usually numbers around 15 birds. One year I had a roost of 25 birds and because many were tagged (tag details read through a telescope) I was able to establish from Tony Cross of the Welsh Kite Trust that the birds originated from all over Wales they were from parts of Montgomeryshire, Merionethshire, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire and even one from the East Midlands (Rutland) population! This was a true meeting of the clans! Kites never cease to fascinate me there is no doubt that they cope well with these high winds no wonder the 'toy' kite was named after them whoever designed that must have watched the kite engaging in its superb aerial skills.
Has anyone in Ceredigion knowledge of any similar autumn/winter kite roosts? I doubt there is a similar one in my home county of Montgomeryshire unless I'm informed otherwise!