Friday 3 December 2010

More re shooters

I am collecting information for the Dyfi estuary for CCW and JNCC on local conditions, bird movements, behaviour etc. in relation to the hard weather and a potential wildfowling ban.
Today was 'day 6' in Wales and England, in the 14 day countdown to a statutory ban.
I have submitted observations on the last few days today based on my own observations and those of RSPB, and I'll be sending in further details over forthcomings days if conditions don't change.
As I write its raining and its seems unlikely we will move to 'day 7' tomorrow, but if freezing conditions return within 3 days the day count will continue. If the weather relents for more than 3 days the countdown will begin again!
If, as seems likely, hard weather returns from Sunday, I will be encouraging wildfowl clubs to 'exercise restraint' ie. advise their members to desist from shooting in advance of any statutory ban (which may or may not come).
In the last few days I've witnessed large numbers of duck (which have moved from inner parts of the estuary to the lower Leri channel) disturbed three times. Twice by dog walkers and today by wildfowlers (who remained in the area for around five hours!!!). I did express my concern to them but to no avail. They considered the conditions ideal for wildfowling and sadly, did not see the need to avoid disturbance or shooting prior to a ban coming into force.
All very frustrating, but please put your observations on the blog to help me with reporting back the facts (opinions are another matter!).
Mike Bailey

As Liz says - if the ban only takes force after 14 days it's too late, the damage has already been done.

Bob