Saturday 7 January 2012

Harriers Shortys and Guns

An eventful walk late this afternoon at Cors Caron; First a marsh tit at the car park and 14 tufted, 104 wigeon at Maes Llyn. I could hear a lot of shooting going on on the bog and during the walk northwards I counted at least 10 guns mostly along the river and spread over a mile. Lots of teal were in the sky mostly in flocks of 20 to 30, probably 150-200 birds. A male hen harrier flew through the commotion. 2 willow tit were very nice to see as where 40 fieldfare. 16 whooper swans (3 juv) flew south down the river. As I walked further north a shortie came in to view and then another one. One of them saw off a buzzard - whilst this was going on the male harrier flew past again and then 2 ringtail birds came in to view, I didn't know where to look first. I could still hear the shooting going on. One of the shorties settled on the stone ruins not far from the river Teifi bridge

Andre Marsh