Wednesday 11 April 2012

CROSS INN FOREST

Decided to make the trip down to Cross Inn for the Great Grey Shrikes this
afternoon and was lucky enough to meet John Davis and Meurig Williams also on the look out. Definitely saw a shrike, whether
it was two swapping places I can't say as I never saw them at the same
time. Eventually got fantastic close views regardless.
On the way back down the track, I also noticed an adult female and
immature Crossbill high up in a larch. To my amazement, the female started
flitting down towards me into the lower branches and then flew right
towards me and landed beside the puddle at my feet!!! She wasn't in the
least bit fased and stayed drinking as I watched without binoculars.
Others birds of note - 2 male Siskin (in song flight), Stonechats, 2
Redpoll, Raven, GS Woodpecker and Willow Warbler.
At Llanrhystud the leucistic herring gull was present infront of the
caravans.

Mike Waller.


(We were lucky and saw both GG Shrikes, but no Crossbills!  JAD)