Thursday 12 April 2012

Cross Inn woods

Fortunate to bump into Marc Hughes this morning. The 'usual' shrike was in its 'usual' location. Marc indicated where the second one had been so I continued on in the hope of seeing it. I didn't have to go far before I saw one flying towards Joppa. Swinging my binoculars around confirmed that the regular was still on its perch.

As I returned, Marc was looking at a pair of Willow Tits. They were showing really well and kept flying back and forth to a fence post where they have either built their nest or are still building.

With Crossbills, Stonechats, Willow Warblers, Reed Buntings it was a great morning. Marc had also seen a couple of Tree Pipits.

The man from the Forestry Commission confirmed that they have now finished felling trees. Even more territory for Nightjars? Lorries will be going along to collect the timber but access restrictions have been removed.