Wednesday 23 April 2014

They're killing our birds in Malta right now

I caught up with the first of Chris Pacham's broadcasts from Malta this morning.  I am grateful for his efforts to publicise the disgraceful behaviour of the "sportsmen" there but I felt so depressed and bitter  at footage of dead Little Bitern and Swift that I'm not sure I can bear to watch any more.
At one point he spoke to a shooter dressed like a Hollywood war "hero".  This rough, tough, fearless warrior claimed only to shoot Quail and Turtle Doves - so that's alright then.
I plan to write to my MP and MEP to protest and ask them to force the Maltese government to enforce the relevant European wildlife legislation.  But judging by the letters I received from Mark Williams this morning, informing me that he supports the government's repeal of the hunting act and the continued culling of badgers, I think I'm flogging a dead horse.
I'm afraid I have very little faith in politicians here or in Europe.  But if enough of us write to them and demand that they take action, you never know, they just might.
You can see Chris Packham's films here - @ChrisGPackham