Sunday 19 April 2015

Ring Ousels again, then Ynyshir

I arrived at the top end of Cwm Einion at 7.55 this morning to find Roy in situ. We enjoyed the Ring Ousels for about 20 minutes before Roy left and I managed another ten minutes until i couldn't feel my fingers. There were six birds present when I left.,
Then it was down the hill to Ynyshir which was positively balmy in the sunshine. Straight to the Ynys Feurig hide for the high tide, where I found 127 Curlews, 4 Dunlin, 2 Whimbrel, 2 Ringed Plover in addition to the usual Redshank and Lapwing. Also single male Pintail and Shoveler, 2 White Wagtails and a gorgeous Greenland Wheatear.
On the way back I enjoyed Tree Pipit, several Pied Flycatchers and my first Sedge Warbler of the year.
Back at the visitor centre I met Arfon, who showed me a photo of the Dotterel which he had found on Pumlumon earlier on. I think it would take me most of the morning to get up there these days.
Anyway, Arfon and I then drove the short distance up Cwm Einion, where we spent a very pleasant session with the Ring Ousels, this time without freezing.