Friday 3 July 2015

Borth and Ynyslas

A quick look at the sea at Aberystwyth early on revealed several hundred Manx Shearwaters heading north.
My next stop was behind the lifeboat house at Borth. Many more shearwaters between here and Ynyslas, plus a few Gannets. On the beach nearby were 31 Mediterranean Gulls, the most I've ever seen here.
Ynyslas was quiet, though off the point was a feeding raft of over a thousand Manxies with about 30 Gannets and well over a hundred Herring Gulls.
Later, as I was standing by the tern posts towards Aberleri I was able to watch eight Gannets feeding in the estuary.
Having seen only six Curlews and two Oystercatchers so far, a walk to Glandwr was called for in the hope of more waders. The result of my efforts was a single Lapwing, though there were also 18 Black-headed Gulls on the pool.

Harry Pepper