Wednesday 15 July 2015

Mediterranean Gulls galore, and some waders.

Nothing at sea from the beach car park at Llanrhystud. The odd juv Pied Wagtail around and then a scan of the beach revealed two Common Sandpipers, two Dunlin and a Sanderling.
Then to Llansantffraed. Mediterranean Gull numbers building up nicely; my final count was 204. I couldn't see any rings, but many of them were hunkered down among the rocks and I didn't want  to disturb them.
More waders here: two Redshank, four Whimbrel, eight Common Sandpipers and 24 Oystercatchers. To add a little variety, there was also a Chough on the beach.

I was interested to see that Chris had six Stock Doves at Aberleri yesterday, as I had two at nearby Glandwr last Friday, at the end of a morning when I had struggled to find anything at all.

Harry Pepper