Thursday 16 July 2015

Ynyslas and Borth

It appears that Bob and I were both at Borth this morning, but at different times.
I started at Ynyslas, at high tide,where I could only find two Sanderling and three Dunlin. Offshore, several thousand Manx Shearwaters were mostly north of Aberdyfi. Three Sandwich Terns and a Kittiwake were much closer and Several Gannets were well up the estuary.
On the estuary side, four Whimbrel and four Sandwich Terns were near the boatyard and a Peregrine flew up the Leri, carrying prey. Two Ringed Plovers dropped in on the falling tide.
I decided to have a last look at the sea and parked up opposite the Surrey chippy. By a happy chance a very large feeding raft of Manx Shearwaters was just offshore. I did a rough count and got about 4800, accompanied by 120 Gannets. Despite scanning through them over and over again I couldn't find anything different among them.
Still, what a spectacle.