Monday 24 August 2015

A BORTH SPECTACULAR

I may have missed Glesni (the adult female Dyfi Osprey) who was seen at Borth just before I arrived this morning ( and indeed I missed Marc at the BirdFair on Friday! ) but I was in time for a fantastic show of Manx Shearwaters and Gannets by the life-boat station.
A mega-flock of Manxies, with a few flaps and glides moved just offshore infront of me, sometimes just a few feet from the edge of the water.

On the beach were 120 Sandwich Terns, 76 Kittewakes and 5 Mediterranean Gulls.
Later, from the prom I saw that the Manxies had settled in one huge flock extending from Wallog towards Ynyslas. Doing a rough count by counting blocks of around 100, I estimated a total of at least 11,000.
Dave Purdon joined me and then some other nice folk and then others on the beach when I went for a walk along the shore. Lunch at Borth was followed by a trip to Ynyslas, this time chatting with Bob and Chris. I had planned a quick morning trip but got back home at 5pm!