Thursday 26 November 2015

Borth and Ynyslas

Like Bob I too was at the turn car park this morning, though our visits didn't coincide. I had fewer Red-throated Divers, though our two Great Crested Grebes  and ca30 Common Scoter agreed.  I also had another five G C Grebes later off Borth plus two on the estuary.  Best of all, a late Gannet (I am determined to get the last one this year: beat that, Davis).
At Ynyslas,  not a breath of wind and the estuary like a millpond.  Among a party of around 30 Oystercatchers on the saltmarsh at the mouth of the Leri I found a little group of waders comprising three Grey Plover, Three Dunlin and a Knot.  Nearby, five Redshank and 10 Curlew.  Shuffling about on the saltings were ca 90 Linnets and a few Reed Buntings.
Lots of birds on Ynys Tachwedd fields, including 115 Lapwings, 25 Curlews, and six Little Egrets.
Finally, after wondering where they were, a last look over the estuary towards Aberdyfi produced a flock of ca 600 Golden Plover.