Monday 25 January 2016

Llanrhystud and Aberaeron

I went down to the coast yesterday to cover two sections for the Non-Estuarine Waterbird Survey (NEWS). Fairly quiet overall but it made me walk along a section of coast where I don't usually go. On the banks of the Afon Wyre in Llanrhystud two very photogenic Redshanks and a Dipper. It was also interesting to watch a Carrion Crow which, over the course of at least an hour, flew up in order to repeatedly drop and crack shells on the rocks below, while the Herring Gulls gave a Grey Heron a good chase. Turnstone camouflage is truly amazing, I virtually stepped on them before I saw them. One ringed bird with a metal ring (see picture) but not clear enough to read (I was surprised to see the ring so high up on the bird's leg). Aberaeron South Beach was firmly in the talons of a large group of Rooks but there were also nine Oystercatchers, also including a bird ringed with a metal ring but too far away to get a clear picture. On Saturday, a male unringed Black Redstart was showing well along the rood of the Old College. The Pied Wagtails gave it some trouble and repeatedly chased it away towards the Castle.




Silke Einschuetz