Sunday 29 May 2016

Cross Inn Forest Nightjars

I arrived at cross inn forest at 5pm and waited for almost five hours for the possibility of seeing Nightjars, as I saw reports that they had been in the area around this time last year. At quarter to 10 I had just about had enough of being bitten by every insect in a 5 mile radius, and just as I turned to walk back to the car I heard a nightjar. I managed to get great views of two birds, that were flying around the clearings. But I believe I there to be at least four individuals overall, one of which I could hear from the car park. Two cuckoos were also seen just before dusk, at least 3 grasshopper warblers, a probable Goshawk, that I saw for a brief moment before it disappeared into the conifers, size suggested either a large female Sparrowhawk or a Goshawk and jizz suggested Goshawk, and a Tawny Owl. Possibly the best days birding I've had in a while.

Edward O'Connor