Tuesday 9 August 2016

Cory's Shearwater off New Quay

Manx Shearwaters were moving north in large numbers when I settled behind the fish factory at 7.00am.  I counted 1600 in the first 30 minutes before the passage eased off somewhat.
By 8.50 I was beginning to wonder whether Cardigan Bay held anything except manxies, Gannets and Kittiwakes when I noticed two birds heading  towards me; a Manx Shearwater and another, larger, browner bird.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I got the scope on it and realised that I was looking at my first Cory's Shearwater in Britain.
As the bird passed by with a few easy wingbeats it very obligingly banked and sheared to give me good views of upper and underparts, just to be absolutely certain.
I stayed until 11.00am and saw very little else, but somehow it didn't matter.