Thursday 4 August 2016

New Quay and Ynyslas

Tried a change of location today, as I'd been to Ynyslas  Mon, Tues and Wed.  A long seawatch from the fish factory produced the expected species, with Kittiwake easily the most numerous.  I counted 350 passing during the five hour session.  Otherwise, eight Sandwich Terns, two Common Terns and two Whimbrel were the highlights.
Yesterday there were 13 Turnstones and a Dunlin at Castle Point and two Whimbrel flew south before I joined Paul Bennett for a run up to Ynyslas.  I didn't do any counts,but we had excellent close views of the small waders, now up to well over 400, both at the point and on the estuary side. Still couldn't find anything different and eventually a couple of blustery showers drove us away.  A Sparrowhawk flying low over the estuary towards Aberleri was unusual.
It's back to Ynyslas tomorrow while the tides are still good.  Bob and I are meeting at 9.30 if anyone fancies joining us.