Friday 23 September 2016

Autumn arriving on Cors Caron

Following weeks during which trying to find a bird on Cors Caron resembled finding a needle in a haystack autumn has started to arrive and with it the birds. The first 30 Wigeon were back on Maes Llyn on Tuesday together with a pair of Moorhen and their two surviving chicks (they had 3 tiny chicks when I first saw them on 5th September). A walk along the railway track yesterday was accompanied by large flocks of Chaffinches and Goldfinches (30 in the largest flock I saw, including juveniles). Both on Tuesday at Maes Llyn and yesterday along the railway track I was astonished to see a Goldfinch parent with 4 youngsters still begging for food (presumably the same birds). Seemed quite late to me compared with my garden records. Also a male Bullfinch with a youngster still begging for food. A flock of 9 Long Tailed Tits together with Blue Tits and Great Tits, and a Willow Tit in the same spot as well, and pairs of Warblers chasing each other (I assume Chiffchaff rather than Willow Warbler considering the date but not 100% sure) and 5 Stonechat.