Thursday 16 February 2017

Sightings from Edward O'Connor

After an enjoyable morning mothing at Ynys-hir with Tony and Ina this morning I headed to the pillbox. It was a slightly lower high tide (4.7m) than when I usually go up there, and surprisingly the birds were closer to the pillbox than usual. I finally got a half decent view of the flocks of waders and it turns out I must have been overlooking the Knot! I'm honestly not sure how many there were but I'd say over 20 at least! There were 500+ Dunlin in 3 tightly packed mixed flocks with the Knot and 20+ Grey Plover. Also present were: 370 Pintail, 480 Wigeon (300-400 more steadily came in after doing this count), 135 Shelduck, 20 Teal, 2 Red-breasted Merganser, 1 Greenshank, 10 Redshank, 2 Pale-bellied Brent Geese (1 ad and 1 juv), 300+ distant Oystercatcher, a Peregrine and 2 Raven. What a spot that is, I'd love to see a hide or screen put up there! The Snow Bunting remains near the golf club car park at Borth.

The Rheidol Gravel Pits: 7 Mute Swans, 2 Goldeneye, 1 Goosander (f), 2 Coot, 2 Moorhen and a Greylag.
Llyn Frongoch at Trisant: 3 Tufted Duck, 2 Little Grebes, 4 Mallard and a Goosander (m).
Llyn Glandwgan at Trisant: 2 Tufted Duck, 1 Ring-necked Duck and 3 Coot.

Edward O'Connor