Thursday 23 February 2017

Sightings from Edward O'Connor

My counts from a 3 hour sea watch from the promenade at Aber this morning were: Kittiwake - 127, Fulmar - 3, Great Northern Diver - 1, Common Scoter - 4, Gannet - 2. Not quite as interesting as I'd hoped but I did have close views of the one of the Fulmar gliding effortlessly over the waves, they're brilliant birds. Most of the birds were seen heading south and before 11.30am so maybe I only caught the end of the action.

I then proceeded to spend 2 hours at Nant-y-moch looking for ducks. 1 Goldeneye, 2 Goosanders, 6 Mallards and 3 Cormorants was all I had to show for it.

Back at Aber there were 1000's of smaller gulls on the sea around the pier and some on college rocks. Looked down the scope onto the rocks and the first bird I see is a Ring-billed Gull! Got the phone out, lined up the photograph and just before I could take the photo my phone dies! Luckily the bird stayed whilst I got my compact camera and allowed me to get a couple of shots before the rising tide forced it off the rocks. There was also 2 adult med's and a green ringed Common Gull that I have seen before but haven't been able to read the ring of.

I also had 5 Greenfinches in the cemetery near Plascrug avenue the other day, the first time I've seen them around Aber. 

Edward O'Connor