Monday 6 March 2017

Recent sightings

The female Ring-necked Duck was present on Pond Glandwgan Saturday afternoon. Interesting how it was solitary even though there were 13 Tufted Ducks on Rhosrydd. There were also 4 Coot, 2 Mute Swans and 2 very out of place Great Black-backed Gulls on Glandwgan.
I managed a few counts from the pillbox before it started raining, they included: 72 Grey Plover, 197 Shelduck, 134 Pintail, 64 Curlew, 4 Red-breasted Merg's, 45 Knot and 150 Dunlin. I also flushed around 20 Snipe and 2 Jack Snipe on the way there.
On Friday there were 2 Chough on Tanybwlch fields including a ringed individual.

A few days ago I found 3 Chiffchaff around the Afon Peris in Llansanffraid and on Thursday I had a Great Northern Diver off New Quay along with a distant pod of Dolphins.

Edward O'Connor

Apologies to Edward for the late posting.  He sent the above to me on Saturday, but my internet was down all day yesterday.