Tuesday 11 April 2017

Sightings from Edward

On Sunday there were 7 Wheatears and 40 odd Pied/White Wagtails on a ploughed field at Llanrhystud, I also had a brief view of a very distant pale phase Skua, which came down onto the sea around a bit of Kittiwake activity, annoyingly it didn't get up off the sea for the 20 minutes or so that I waited for it. My bad luck with Skuas continues... 
Monday afternoon at Llanon 41 Manx Shearwaters passed in around a 15 minute spell.  In the evening on Cors Fochno I enjoyed an incredible Otter encounter. It didn't mind me watching as it hunted around the edges of the pond popping up frequently . It passed right under my feet at one point, leaving a trail of bubbles behind it. The whole experience was tarnished slightly with the sound of a farmer destroying an area of gorse and blackthorn on the hillside behind me.
There were six Sandwich Terns at Ynyslas in the evening.

Edward O'Connor