Wednesday 3 May 2017

Ring-billed Gull at Ynyslas

An early start for a seawatch from the Ynyslas brickhouse was an uneventful one. A quick look over Ynys Tachwedd fields produced 15 or so Whimbrel, but no Egrets. On to Foel Fawr, where I saw my first Cuckoo of the year as well as a calling Lesser Spot on the way back onto the main road. Cwm Clettwr produced my first Wood Warblers of the year, at least 4 singing males.
On the way home I thought I'd check on Tachwedd fields again, and the six Cattle Egrets had arrived, it seems they turn up on that field around 9am. Thought I may as well as check the ploughed field while I was there, as a good few gulls had arrived since I last checked it.
 A quick scan through produced  a 1st summer Ring-billed Gull feeding on its own on the nearside of the field. Managed to get a few massively overexposed phonescoped shots before it flew with the rest of the gulls. I believe the bird settled onto the Leri for a few seconds before flying down the estuary towards the pillbox, I wasn't sure it was the bird but it seemed to be a good fit. Just as I walking back to the road a Yellow Wagtail flew east over the Leri Boatyard calling as it went.

Edward O'Connor