Saturday 22 July 2017

A very nice day's birding

Two very nice high tides today Friday), and I spent both of them at Ynyslas. This morning the rain kept me in my car near the tern posts, but still to be had were 15 Whimbrel, 4 Sandwich Terns, 40 Sanderling, 50+ Dunlin, 30+ Ringed Plover, a Turnstone and a Greenshank on the Leri. I also caught view of a single tern a good way down the estuary which looked very good for Little Tern, but difficult to tell without a size comparison.
 I went home for the afternoon deluge, but came back around 5pm for the next high tide. The ploughed field was flooded in places which attracted good numbers of Pied Wagtails, and my first White Wagtail of the autumn.
 At Ynyslas, a cream headed Marsh Harrier made its way up the estuary, a surprise Yellow Wagtail passed north over the dunes, 5 Mute Swans dropped into the tern posts for a quick feed before heading off south, and wader numbers at the point were really good, probably 300 small waders the majority of which were Sanderling.
Back at the tern posts a few Black-headed Gulls and Sandwich Terns were roosting along with what I strongly suspected was a juvenile Yellow-legged Gull, as the bird flew off my suspicions were confirmed, as the bird showed a brilliant almost unmarked white rump and a dark window to the inner primaries. The bird then landed on the ploughed field at Ynys Tachwedd before flying off out of the estuary. After this I thought I might check the point one last time, but a 4x4 doing powerslides around the beach was, believe it or not, enough to put me off. King Eider still present as well.




Edward O'Connor