Saturday 8 July 2017

Ynyslas and the Clettwr: Friday

At the point at Ynyslas yesterday morning there were 3 Dunlin, a Sanderling and a very out of place Teal in amongst the Oystercatchers. 5 Sandwich Terns flew into the estuary, 30+ Sand Martins passed south over the sea and 5 Choughs flew north.
Another Ynyslas first for me were two male Greenfinches on Ynys Tachwedd fields. I had my first returning Green Sandpiper of the 'autumn' on the Clettwr with 20 Redshanks, 5 Common Sandpipers and 5 Lapwings.

Edward O'Connor

I was also at Ynyslas yesterday morning and our paths crossed a couple of times.  Waders are still very thin on the ground but I also had a Ringed Plover at the point (standing next to a Kittiwake).
The King Eider was hunkered down in the saltmarsh with just its head showing and two Stock Doves flew across Ynys Tachwedd fields.