Tuesday 1 August 2017

Ynyslas today and other recent sightings

Had a walk around Ynyslas this morning. In the scrub around the dunes there were 4+ Blackcaps, a juv. Sedge Warbler, many Willow Warblers and a return passage Lesser Whitethroat. On Ynys Tachwedd fields there were probably 900-1,000 small waders on the field there, probably a ratio of 3 Dunlin to 1 Ringed Plover I did start a proper count but I was distracted by an adult Curlew Sandpiper in amongst the Dunlin, hopefully the first of many this autumn. A big surprise was a juvenile Cuckoo that I caught sight of for a brief moment around the Ynyslas boatyard.


The past week or so have been somewhat quiet. A few highlights have been a flock of 30+ Collared Doves around Ynyslas, I don't think I've ever seen 5 or more together like that before. A cream-headed Marsh Harrier was hunting over borth bog (viewed from the Leri bank) Multiple juvenile Redstarts in the scrub around Ynyslas and Ynys Tachwedd, a count of 15 Med Gulls on Ynys Tachwedd fields. 2 Little Ringed Plovers on the Marian Mawr pools at Ynys-hir. I also had what I think is a 1st summer Yellow-legged Gull around Ynyslas on Sunday but like with most gulls I find, I don't really know.




 Edward O'Connor