Tuesday 19 September 2017

Llanrhystud; Sabine's Gull and Ruff

Needed field notes to help me on a couple of species this morning and then a field guide to confirm id. Had amazing views of a small, dusky gull on the sea, right underneath me at the cliffs near the kilns. Very approachable, I was pretty sure it was a Sabine's Gull but made notes just in case! Very active, spinning around almost like a Phalarope and rather aggressive towards the slightly larger BH Gulls it was with. When it flew, very distinctive wings, which I can see from the guide make it a juvenile. On my way back to the car I bumped into John Valentine. He'd found a wader which, despite good views, neither of us were too sure of. Red appeared (too briefly) but not prepared to stick his neck out either. More field notes and a check in a guide a moment ago strongly suggest juvenile Ruff. No sign of the Little Gull but as were about to leave we realised the Sabine's Gull was on the floodwater. It departed showing the wing pattern clearly for us.