Sunday 4 March 2018

Cors Caron and Ring Ouzel query

Little Egret from the big hide and another at Pont Einon where there were also 21 Mute Swans. Great White still at Maes Llyn, exactly where I saw it three weeks ago. Not moving. Maybe frozen solid and hadn't melted yet. Willow Tit singing at the boardwalk. Yesterday, somebody reported a Ring Ouzel in their garden to me at Pont Llanio. I've been for a quick search, but no luck. I saw the person who saw the bird, again this morning. She has not seen it again herself but was sure it had a very distinct white crescent rather than being a Blackbird with pale blotchy feathers on breast. It seems rather early and there haven't exactly been warm southerlies to draw it up from the Atlas mountains. However, I believe some continental birds are short distance or altitudinal migrants. Perhaps it was a Ring Ouzel displaced from a more easterly direction? Any thoughts/opinions appreciated.