Wednesday 28 March 2018

Unexpected visitor at Ystumtuen

I was watching the birds outside my kitchen window this morning -
chaffinches, greenfinches, goldfinches, siskins and, then beneath the
sunflower feeder amongst the fallen seed, a hawfinch! I have no
experience at sexing hawfinches but I think it was a female with more
muted colours and a smaller black bib than I would expect on a male. It
stayed in and around our ash tree for a few minutes and then flew off
with all the other birds.
It returned a short while later and stayed for a few more minutes and
this time we managed to get a couple ofrubbish pictures of it.
 (Taken by holding the camera to my binoculars)
No sign of it since we returned from town this afternoon but I shall be
watching keenly tomorrow morning. Also on the ground beneath the feeder
today was a female yellowhammer.



Elaine Izett