Friday 15 February 2019

The Revelation

Popped out this morning to undertake some Willow Tit surveying with the assistance of my trusty companion, the playback device given to me by the RSPB. I started at Waun Garthenor (Llanio), a small Woodland Trust reserve where I have always had good luck finding a bird or two. I stopped three times and each time a pair responded almost immediately, one calling, one singing. The reserve is very open with small rushy fields between areas of waterlogged willows and so it is easy enough to see if birds are moving from a to b. It was clear there must be at least 3 pairs here which I found astonishing and wonderful. A little further up the old railway line towards Llanio another couple of brief stops yielded a fourth pair. Further on still at Pont Llanio it is rather more overgrown and the woodland along the railway cutting mature. I've seen Marsh Tits here but thought I'd try the playback anyway. No response. I was just about to return to the car when a pair of Marsh/Willow Tits appeared. They quickly disappeared in to the dense brambly gorge without calling so I was unable to determine which species it was but possibly Marsh. Hopefully a second visit will clarify the issue. A lovely morning. Feel almost completely recovered from the 6-0 thrashing at the weekend. Only the scars now remain.