Thursday 21 March 2019

Willow Tits and the railway line

I'm sure a few of us have heard that the feasibility of reopening the rail line north across the county is being looked into. I'm writing not to express a view for/against but just to mention a possible affect should the plan ever come to fruition. I've recently been surveying Willow Tits between Llangybi and Llanio. Of the 6 territories that I found 3 were directly on the old rail line and the other 3 no more than 200m away in the boggy overgrown ground adjoining the route. At Cors Caron we all see Willow Tits along the cycle path/rail line too. I can't help thinking that developing the line would impact heavily on the local population, destroying some breeding habitat and fragmenting/isolating the remaining birds. Though our Willow Tit numbers in Ceredigion may seem low the National Atlas 2007-11 suggests that the abundance of birds in this corner of Ceredigion may still be significant at a UK level.