Friday 14 February 2020

Bonxie at Ynys-hir

Ynyslas on the rising tide produced two pale-bellied Brent Geese, 215 Golden Plover, 25 Dunlin, a Turnstone and a Red-breasted Merganser.
I carried on to the Glandyfi layby, where the first bird I saw was the Smew, drifting upriver on the tide, along with a pair of Goldeneye.  Soon afterwards a commotion among some Herring Gulls over the other side of the saltings near the railway line attracted my attention.  Scanning through them I picked out a Great Skua, which then dropped onto the river right in the corner of the first bend.  The weather soon closed in but I could just about make out the bird in the gloom.  Eventually it got up and flew off downriver.  Soon afterwards Dick turned up and my heart sank when I realised I'd forgotten to text him.  He was very understanding and accepted my apologies. 
Pale-bellied Brent Geese