Friday 3 September 2021

Firecrest at Ynys-hir

 I was again at Ynys-hir this morning hoping to see the Ruff reported yesterday. I couldn't find it, but as I was scoping the furthest oak trees on the left in front of the Marian Mawr hide, because I could hear a party of Long-tailed Tits, a stonking male Firecrest popped into view, crest ablaze. I've never scoped one before what a jewel he was. Other birds there, 4 Little Stints, 1 Spotted Redshank, 2 Great Egrets, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 1 each of Dunlin, Kingfisher, Osprey and 7 Green Sands on the car park pools.

Then on to the Leri railway bridge where I spotted the Juvenile Curlew Sand found by Harry yesterday with 4 Dunlin and on the opposite bank 3 juvenile Ruffs, looked like one male and two females based on the size difference. So I saw a Ruff just in a different place.

Ruff



Martin Creasser.