Wednesday 16 February 2011

LAPLAND BUNTING

Thousands of amateur birdwatchers, of all abilities, take part in the various surveys organised by the BTO. (See their excellent web site.) As well as sending in records to the County Recorder (Russell Jones for Ceredigion), survey activity is another way of putting to great use the results of one's birdwatching. 'Having' to go out and do a survey might seem a chore but they can take you to new places and, as happened again to me, give you a lucky sighting which you would otherwise miss.
Last week it was the Little Gulls at Llanrhystud and today's Winter Atlas survey took me to Llanon where I noticed that one of the Lapland Buntings is still present.
I took some record shots of the bird from some distance (but, as with scarce birds in Ceredigion, they save me from having to do a little written description for Russell!)