Sunday 20 May 2018

SAD END TO A BLUE TITS NESTING ATTEMPT

Of the two blue tit nests which have been occupying our woodcrete nest boxes in our garden in Glynarthen, one has been destroyed by a male House Sparrow. Yesterday morning I sat here and witnessed the perpetrator sitting triumphantly atop the box having emptied its contents of ten eggs onto our patio! I must admit that I’m struggling with trying to find the positives. I know that this is nature at work and I’m trying to console myself with the thought that in the bigger scheme of things House Sparrows may need more nest sites to replace those that have disappeared from our rural environment. But having witnessed the blue tit pair labouring to build the nest and then having watched the male supporting the female as she produced a brood of eggs, it’s as much as I can do to stay calm and collected. It’s a struggle!
Roger Watkins
 (Received on Friday while I was away in Tollesbury. JAD)