Friday 8 June 2018

Yellowhammers in Cwm Brefi

I noticed Ian and Andy had struggled with this species in Cwm Brefi yesterday as I had in Cwm Doethie recently. A good area to see/hear one or two in Cwm Brefi is usually on the slopes behind Rhysgog Isaf. But not today. However, one was singing distantly in the rough open scrub by the river just below the bridge. I've watched them before fly from here to bushes or the overhead wire on the roadside and then beyond to the hillside south of the road. A second was singing under Craig Foelallt and could just be heard from Foelallt Farm. Sadly, no joy at Denmark Farm with Spotted Flycatcher, for the second or third year now. Not even any Swallows here, nesting or even just flying about feeding. Hard to believe at such an insect rich site. I think I heard them say on Springwatch that both these and some other migrants had apparently been very badly affected by some bad weather on migration.