Wednesday 14 April 2021

Llanrhystud

Soon after arriving at the beach car park I spotted a familiar figure at the far end of the flooded field.  I headed down there and Mr Davis (for it was he) and I joined forces. John found a Common Sandpiper and I heard a Whimbrel.. Also on the beach were four Turnstones, a Whimbrel, a Curlew and a Redshank. Two more Whimbrel passed by unseen. as did at least one Sandwich Tern and a House Martin, both heard by John.  

Among the large numbers of Sand Martins around the cliff colonies (at least 25 in one flock), a few Swallows passed,  Offshore, a few Gannets and a Shelduck went south. As we approached the lime kilns on the way back, who should come along but Ian Morris.  A long chat later we continued on our way, passing 20 Ringed Plovers on the beach, which I managed to miss.

Back at the car park John and I decided to have a good look at the ploughed field by the approach road.  Between us we found a Lesser Black-backed, seven Common and a Med Gull, six Wheatears  (in addition to at least two by the flood earlier), and a White Wagtail.