Monday 26 April 2021

Recent sightings from Jerry Moore

 A greenfinch stopped off very briefly in our garden here in Penrhiwnewydd yesterday before moving on.I haven't seen many records of wood warbler so far this spring so one in the Rheidol Gorge on Saturday 24th about 1 km west of Devils Bridge might be of interest

.My first pied flycatcher was at Salem on Friday 23rd. There was a green sandpiper in the Clettwr below Tre'r ddol on Thursday 22nd. Also at Tre'r ddol on my BBS square it was noticeable how few migrants were present. Good numbers of willow warbler and blackcaps and perhaps the chiffchaffs have largely stopped singing already? But only one swallow and one house martin, maybe a hint of a redstart but no pied flies. The most interesting residents were a couple of greenfinches.

The peregrines I mentioned in a previous post seem to have settled down to incubation on my last visit.

Jerry Moore