Thursday 27 May 2021

Yellowhammer at Ystumtuen

Having read in the Ceredigion Bird report and previous contributions in the blog that Ystumtuen was as good a place as any for Yellowhammers, I thought I'd pay it a visit this morning for the first time. As I drove down towards the village itself I heard one singing and pulled over and there it was at the top of a large Hawthorn Tree. I managed a few record shots before it disappeared. I didn't hear or see another. What a beautiful place Ystumtuen is. Best of the rest, a male Redstart fighting its reflection in a house window and at least 2 Cuckoos calling and one seen flying over.

From there I visited some of the reservoirs north of Ponterwyd. The only notable bird seen was a female Merlin on a roadside post on the way back from Nant-y-moch.
Yellowhammer


Martin Creasser