Tuesday 1 June 2021

Camddwr/Soar y Mynydd and Cwm Doethie

 For those who are not familiar with these locations, they are high on the hills above Tregaron. I drove along Camddwr, stopping regularly to check places, then did a circular walk from the chapel into Cwm Doethie. I have not seen Yellowhammer or Common Sandpiper here for several years and so it was this morning too. A bird that seemed noticeably more abundant however, was Reed Bunting, with 9 males along Camddwr and 10 males in Cwm Doethie. Also in Camddwr; ( singing males) 8 Stonechats, 7 Whinchats, Cuckoo, Wood Warbler and a Dipper, among others. In Cwm Doethie; (singing males) 6 Stonechats, 16 Whinchats, 11 Tree Pipits and 3 Cuckoos plus a female Goosander.

The highlight of a wonderful morning was. when an unfamiliar song caught my attention, which turned out to be a Ring Ouzel. When I got on to the bird I realised that a female was present also and that they were clearly a breeding pair. I watched for some time as they returned in and out of the site, which I presume contained a nest.