Sunday 27 June 2021

We have Peregrines

 Yesterday morning I went up to have a look at "my" peregrine pair. After about two hours staring at a grassy ledge with a rocky wall behind it, I looked again and saw something different -  a well-grown peregrine chick! I could hear it calling for food from about 250 metres away when the wind dropped, but still didn't see any food being taken in. The female was in attendance but I didn't see the male during the four hours I was there. 

I guess the chick was 4 - 5 weeks old. It was wandering about on the ledge and doing a bit of wing flapping but still appeared to have down on its chest and body while the wings were well-feathered. Very pleased that "my" birds are doing well after some recent uncertainty.

I was under the impression that nesting peregrines were pretty scarce inland these days. I'd be very interested to know if this was the case; if anyone would be able to let me know!

My email address is jerry@wild-wales.com

Jerry Moore