Thursday 17 October 2024

Out and about

 My usual trip on a Thursday as, after dropping my wife off to volunteer in the garden at Llanerchaeron, I head to wherever I fancy for three hours. Today, starting at Llanrhystud lots of gulls feeding off-shore (230 Mediterranean, 480 black-headed) and twenty odd gannets. 3 greylag geese flew south too. Nothing at the lime kilns but very pleasant strolling back looking and checking all the pipits.

At Llannon, nothing till the third gate south of the car-park and the stubble field there was full of birds. I picked up a Lapland bunting on call (worth the hours of listening to bird calls in the bleak mid winter) with lots of skylark, pipits, linnets and good flocks of chaffinch heading south. A sand Martin flitting over the field was a bonus too in a very relaxed three hours.

Russell Jones